When you turn off your car, the radio usually shuts off too. This can be frustrating, especially if you were listening to your favorite station or podcast. However, there are ways to keep your radio on even when your car is off. In this guide, we’ll show you how to do it and explain why it’s important.
Why Keep Your Radio on When Your Car is Off?
There are a few reasons why you might want to keep your radio on when your car is off:
- Entertainment: You might want to continue listening to music or a podcast while you take a break from driving.
- Information: You might be listening to news or traffic updates and want to stay informed even when you’re not driving.
- Comfort: If you’re waiting in your car for someone or just taking a quick break, having the radio on can make the time pass more quickly and comfortably.
How to Keep Radio on When Car is Off?
Now, let’s dive into how to keep your radio on when your car is off.
Method 1: Use Your Car’s Accessory Mode
Most cars have an accessory mode that allows you to use some of the car’s features without turning on the engine. To turn on the accessory mode and keep your radio on, follow these steps:
- Turn off your car’s engine.
- Turn your car’s key to the accessory position. This is usually one click back from the “on” position.
- Your car’s electrical system will now be on, and you can use the radio without the engine running.
Note: Be sure to turn off the accessory mode when you’re done using the radio. Leaving it on for too long can drain your car’s battery.
Method 2: Install a Radio Delay
A radio delay is a device that keeps your car’s radio on for a few minutes after you turn off the engine. This can be useful if you just need a few extra minutes of listening time. To install a radio delay, follow these steps:
- Purchase a radio delay device online or at an electronics store.
- Follow the device’s instructions for installation. This usually involves connecting the device to your car’s electrical system.
- Once installed, the device will keep your radio on for a predetermined amount of time after you turn off the engine.
Method 3: Install a Second Battery
If you frequently use your car’s radio while the engine is off, you might want to consider installing a second battery. This will allow you to use your car’s electrical system without draining the primary battery. To install a second battery, follow these steps:
- Purchase a second battery and a battery isolator online or at an auto parts store.
- Follow the battery isolator’s instructions for installation. This usually involves connecting the isolator to both batteries and your car’s electrical system.
- Once installed, the second battery will power your car’s electrical system while the primary battery is being charged by the engine.
Note: Installing a second battery can be a complex process and should only be attempted by experienced car enthusiasts.
How to Keep Radio on When Push Start Car is off
Keeping your radio on when your car is off can be a little more complicated if your car has a push start ignition system. Here are some steps you can take to keep your radio on when your car is off with a push start ignition:
- Turn on the accessory mode: Most cars with a push start ignition have an accessory mode. To turn on the accessory mode, push the start button without pressing the brake pedal. This will turn on the electrical system in your car and allow you to use the radio without the engine running.
- Keep the key fob inside the car: If you step out of your car while it’s in accessory mode, the electrical system will automatically turn off to save battery life. To avoid this, keep the key fob inside the car. This will allow the electrical system to stay on even when you’re not in the car.
Keeping your radio on when your car is off can be a useful and convenient feature. Whether you want to stay entertained, informed, or just comfortable, there are several ways to keep your radio on without draining your car’s battery. Use the methods outlined in this guide to keep your radio on and enjoy your favorite tunes and programs whenever you want.